Blog Archive

02/11/2015

Nurses and art

Nurses have always impressed me. My parents both started out as nurses, that's how they met. Before I went to art school I highly doubted if an artist is really necessary in this world, compared to a job in care. My generation, from where I come from, is brought up with the idea that one should follow a passion to build one's career - I was one of many thousands arts students graduating in 2009.



In my current practice there is still the question of necessity present. Part of this discussion inspired me to start a project in 2010 for a company in home care, Buurtzorg. I made 5 large interior portraits of their clients. (watch them here) It gave me the opportunity to enter a world that I knew about from my parents and their stories. It learned me that being an artist can be great, also outside of the conventional art world. 

I had set up a construction so that all three parties benefitted from the pieces: The company had large drawings that gave insight to their work field; The clients received a smaller drawing of a favorite object in their house and could hang it in their home; And I had an entrance into hyper private spaces, gaining knowledge on the relationship between artist and model, finding my own role outside the art world as I knew it, and for the first time becoming completely emotionally involved in my work. 

This month I start a new series, commissioned by the almost 10 year old foundation Buurtzorg: Role model. Together with their clients and direct colleagues, I will make portraits of a selection of nurses in the Netherlands. We will make a collection of drawings, photographs, video's and small sculptures around the individual nurse.

During my days with the nurses I will explore my own position as an artist within this private home context. 



Miss Kessel, Damrak Amsterdam 2010. ( She was 103 back then!)


No comments:

Post a Comment